Sunday, January 08, 2006

Damned spammers!

Somehow comment spammers for a site advertising products related to blood pressure devices and medications have managed to get through Blogger's word verification system for comments. Before that, yesterday it was a bunch of spams for a Pink Panther DVD collection. Just this morning, I deleted five comment spams that arrived just this morning since 6 AM, for a rate of about one per hour thus far. (In fact, one arrived while I was typing this short little announcement.) I haven't done it yet, but if this spam mini-flood keeps up, gets worse, and starts to cause a real problem, I may be forced to turn on on comment verification for a while until the spam assault abates.

Just so you all know the reason if I end up deciding sometime in the next couple of days that I need to turn on comment moderation again.

Out of curiosity, has any other blogger been getting these spams?

6 example(s) of insolence returned:

At 1/08/2006 1:09 PM, Anonymous Stephen Benson said...

check out driftglass. . .he seems to have come up with a simple, elegant solution that they haven't managed to crack. his first post for several months has been a "mosquito net". seems to work perfectly.


At 1/08/2006 5:23 PM, Blogger Ahistoricality said...

Spammers probably outsourced it so that cheap overseas labor, folks who couldn't quite make the customer service cut, is manually entering the codes and getting paid a fraction of a cent per post....

I don't have either moderation or word identification (not blind-friendly) on, but spam comments have gone down over the last few months. I'm probably free-riding on you big-namers, but the fact that I promptly delete spam comments might have something to do with it, too.


At 1/08/2006 6:36 PM, Blogger GrrlScientist said...

I am getting spammed, as you noticed when you popped in this morning, Orac. I delete spams promptly, too, but it takes AWHILE to find them since I have 360 individual essays to look through.

I think there ought to be a "trial period" for each blog for commenters before their messages are automatically posted to that blog's comments section. That way, we can get around the moderation-only option (not attractive), but also give the blog author some control over whose comments are automatically popsted. Not foolproof, but it is enough of a hassle that I think it would strongly discourage spamweasels.



At 1/08/2006 8:46 PM, Blogger Greg P said...

There ought to be some way of "easily" tracking/searching for these hidden comments - I get them too and generally don't bother to look for them.
I figure if they're hidden back in the depths of my blog, noone will read them anyway.


At 1/08/2006 9:32 PM, Blogger Orac said...

I don't know about anyone else, but I simply set Blogger to send me an e-mail any time there is a comment. A link to the post where the comment was made appears in the e-mail message. It's quite easy to go straight to the relevant post that way. What I then do is to delete the comment spam, and, if the post is more than a couple of months old, I open it and turn off comments, so that no further comments can be made.


At 1/08/2006 11:06 PM, Anonymous Chris said...

To the point that GrrlScientist brings up regarding spam on older posts--one solution (elegant and wonderfully simple) is used over at Burning Bird: Shelley (and others, elsewhere) just shuts down comments on a post after a given point in time.

Naturally this doesn't intercept spam on newer entries, but it does tend to improve the signal to noise ratio.


Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Links to this insolence:

Create a Link

<< Home