The Fifteenth Meeting of the Skeptics' Circle

Being on vacation, I haven't had a chance to post much, mainly because (1) I'm having fun and it's a good thing to recharge Orac's power source for more blogging goodness to come and (2) there have been days where I quite simply have no Internet access or only have dialup. Having tried to use dialup to check my e-mail a couple of times this week, I can no longer imagine how I ever managed without high speed Internet access for so many years. Just checking my e-mail was so painfully slow, never mind trying to post to or update my blog, that I barely managed to respond to a few comments. Then, my cousin sent me an e-mail with a bunch of photos attached, and it took seemingly forever for the message to download. Ouch. In retrospect, maybe I should have posted Kristjan's piece on the Danish autism studies before I left, given the amount of commentary it's attracted. On the other hand, I thought it would be really nice to be able to post at least one or two substantive pieces while I was gone for two weeks, so that you don't all start thinking that Orac's disappeared from the blogosphere.

All of this is a roundabout way to come to one of my favorite topics, the Skeptics' Circle. Austin at Atheism Guide has posted the Fifteenth Meeting of the Skeptics' Circle, and it's a great example of the straight-up, no-nonsense style of carnival hosting, with a number of high quality submissions. I'm amazed at how much effort he put into the commentary on each article. Maybe I'll try his method the next time I host, whenever that is.

In any case, check it out, and hopefully it will whet your appetite for more of the same when I get back from vacation late next week. And keep those submissions coming, because in two weeks Red State Rabble will host the Sixteenth Meeting of the Skeptics' Circle! Finally, I'm still looking for hosts. If you're interested in hosting an edition of the Skeptics' Circle, e-mail me at orac_usa@hotmail.com. The archives and upcoming schedule are here, and the sorts of articles and hosting I'm looking for are described here and here.

Comments

  1. Funny, but I use dialup at home and high-speed ethernet at work, and there are very few instances where my browsing behavior changes. I make more use of background tab loading at home, but I read the same stuff, get e-mail, etc.

    Perhaps I've learned how to fill in the pauses (I can go get coffee while Eudora does my morning e-mail check), but honestly, it's not that big of a deal, and it's considerably cheaper and more secure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'm just spoiled. Once you go broadband, it's hard to go back to dialup.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts